Documentation Home · White Papers · Installation Guide: Running SNFServer as a Service · Running SNFServer as a Service with SRVANY
Installation Guide: Running SNFServer as a Service with SRVANY
- Download & install the Windows 2003 Resource Kit.
- Open a command prompt (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type CMD).
- Enter the following commands (customize for the paths of the executables):
C:\> cd "Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" C:\> Instsrv SNFServer "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\SRVANY.exe"
- Open up the Registry Editor (Click on the Start Button, select Run, and type REGEDIT).
- Locate the following key:
- From the Edit menu, select New, select Key, and name the new key "Parameters".
- Highlight the Parameters key.
- From the Edit menu, select New, select String Value, and name the new value "Application".
- From the Edit menu, select Modify, and type in the full path name and application name, including
the drive letter and file extension (don't use quotes). You must customize the path to match your
installation. If you installed SNFServer in C:\SNF\ then you would use:
If you have white space in your path double quote (don't single quote) each parameter seperately like so:
"C:\Program Files\SNF\SNFServer.exe" "C:\Program Files\SNF\snf_engine.xml"
- Open the Services MMC.
- Double click your service and check the Log-On tab to be sure the service is running with acceptable permissions.
- Start the Sniffer service. Some systems may require a restart in order to fully start the service. NOTE: If after restart, the service tries to start and then stops immediately : Double check your snf_engine.xml and your identity files, as these files can cause the Server to fail initialization if they are incomplete.
- Set the Sniffer service to Automatic.